JULY 4 2014

Girls and Boys share highest marks

The Federal Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education (FBISE) on Thursday announced the results of the SSC-1 Annual Examination 2014 with the highest marks shared by both boys and girls.

Complete Story: http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-6-259779-Girls-&-boys-share-highest-marks-Of-80,106-candidates,-58.76%-successful



Blast damages school in Mattani

A government primary school was damaged in a bomb blast in Mohalla Tokar Kher in the jurisdiction of Mattani police station, Peshawar on Wednesday night.

Complete Story:


Gwadar to have naval school, college 

During his visit to navy’s coastal establishments, Admiral Sandila reviewed the operational preparedness of troops at PNS Makran, Pasni. He interacted with officers and men and appreciated their hard work and devotion towards the defence of the country, said a statement issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations. The Bahria Model School and College in Gwadar is being built on 16 acres of land provided by the government of Balochistan. The provincial government will also provide Rs200 million for the construction and development of the college which will be built in collaboration with a non-governmental organisation.

Complete Story: http://www.dawn.com/news/1116974/gwadar-to-have-naval-school-college



Seminar on ‘Quality assurance in higher education’ held

Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) organized a seminar on ‘Quality assurance in higher education: Procedures and challenges’ here at Quaid-i-Azam University. Prof. Dr. Muhammad Riaz, Director QEC, National Defense University (NDU) Islamabad, was invited as a guest speaker. A large number of faculty and members of Programme Teams and Assessment Teams (PT/AT) from different departments participated in the event.

Complete Story: http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-6-259778-Seminar-on-Quality-assurance-in-higher-education-held


World peace begins at school

As the Earth that we live on belongs not only to some, but to all, maintaining peace is not an option, but a responsibility. It is the youth of today that will become the leaders of tomorrow, and will determine which direction will we take: the direction of conflict or the direction of justice; of cordial relations or that of disputes; of guaranteed fundamental human rights or of violations to the very sanctity of life; of peace or of disharmony. Thus, it is very important that the youth of today is groomed in such a way that they become the agents of change as responsible and civilized leaders of the world community, and be able to understand the dynamics of world political, social, and economic stability, in order to promote and maintain world peace. And the sanctified atmosphere of a school is the integral fostering ground for such tendencies to develop in this impressionable age.

Complete Story: http://www.nation.com.pk/national/04-Jul-2014/world-peace-begins-at-school


KU students’ careers at stake due to misunderstanding

The University of Karachi (KU) has put the careers of many prospective MPhil and PhD students at stake after the varsity officials failed to communicate the purported modifications in the admission rules to their own department heads, The Express Tribune has learnt on Thursday. On June 22, these candidates sat the entrance test that was conducted by the relevant university departments for induction into the MPhil and PhD programmes. The test comprised two sections: the English and communication skills that carried 20% marks and the subject knowledge test that was worth the remaining 80% marks.

Complete Story: http://tribune.com.pk/story/730918/lost-in-communication-ku-students-careers-at-stake-due-to-misunderstanding/





Education and recent budgets  by Faisal Bari

There are four big problems that we have to resolve if we are serious about addressing issues linked to education in Pakistan. First of all, there are an estimated 20 to 25 million children between five to 16 years who are not in school. We have, under Article 25a, which has been included in the Constitution through the 18th Amendment, pledged that all children in this age group will be provided free and compulsory education as a basic right. If we are to live up to that promise, we have to figure out a way of getting these millions of children into school.

Complete Story: http://www.dawn.com/news/1116862/education-and-recent-budgets